Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Classic (Non-Godzilla) Toho from Monster of Monsters

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters was a pretty mediocre game. It was repetitive and ugly. The Godzilla sprite was see through and he didn't so much jump he just sort of levitated, despite that I played the hell out of it when I was a kid. It was the only opportunity I had to take control of the big G and mete out some atomic pain! Looking back on it now one of the thing that really impresses me about it is how it showcases classic non-godzilla kaiju and mechas.

Gezora: Space Amoeba (1970)


Moguera: Mysterians (1959)
Before I knew about The Mysterians I assumed Toho took the idea for M.O.G.E.R.A. in Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla form this game.

Varan: Varan the Unbelievable (1958)


Atragon: Atragon (1963)
Any shortcomings of the game, and there are many, are made up for by the feelings of nostalgia it gives me and the sense of reverence I think the makers of this game must have had for classic Japanese sci-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment